Waimate Museum & Archives
28 Shearman Street Waimate
(03) 689 7832 Museum
(03) 689 7842 Archives
Tuesday to Friday 10am - 3.30pm
Public Holidays Closed
Other times by appointment
Admission by Donation/Koha
Waimate Museum & Archives
COLLECTIONSOur collections comprises of objects, documentary historical records and archives that relate to Waimate’s natural history, its people and their activities. We manage collections in order to share stories of the Waimate District. Collections include:
- over 150,000 photographs
- Local government archives dating from 1864
- Waimate newspapers & publications
- Local group and business records
- Textiles & costumes, militaria, machinery
- Māori taonga – kete and toki
The Waimate Historical Society was formed in 1954, when the district was celebrating its 100th year, to preserve the history of the Waimate District.
The Museum complex is rated as a historical reserve, hosting many justice buildings (1879 Courthouse, Police Station, Jail and Stable), a pioneer cottage, old country school and several purpose built buildings. .
Exhibition highlights include:
* Ka Takata Whenua o Waihao display - a peek at pre European Māori life in Waimate.
* The Moa exhibition recaps the discovery of Moa bones in 1895 at Arno (5km south of Waimate).
* Wāhine statue, sculpted by J McDonald for the New Zealand International Exhibition, held in Christchurch 1906-1907.
* The Pavilion with a 'street of shops' and horse drawn vehicles
* Douglas School, an old country school house, educating children from the Douglas Settlement from 1912 to 1951. Moved to the Waimate Museum site in 2004.
* Machinery Hall showcasing farming equipment including the Hornsby Portable Steam Engine from the McCaw family of Hakataramea.
* Bremner Cottage, a cottage that survived the great Waimate bush fire of 1878. Depicts how people lived before 1878.
Explore our collections ONLINE
MEMBERSHIPWAIMATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY...
Want to support the work of Waimate Museum and Archives?
Become a member of the Waimate Historical Society!
You do not need to live in Waimate to be a member- many of our members live outside Waimate. Members receive newsletters, information about upcoming exhibitions and discount on research at the Archives.
By becoming a member you know that you are helping to keep our Museum open and that the history of Waimate is preserved for the future. Thank you!
MEMBERSHIP FORM Download a membership form here.
NEWSLETTER Download our latest newsletter here.
WAIMATE MUSEUM BOOKARAMA
21st October to 26th October 2023
10:00 am until 4:00 pm daily.
In the Machinery Hall on Innes St. Opposite Lister Home.
Bookarama is our major fund raiser, held over Labour Weekend each year.If you need help or would like someone to pick up your items, please contact the museum to arrange a suitable time.
Donations of books, magazines, jigsaw puzzles, children's books, and any items for the white elephant stall are gratefully received. Please contact the Museum office to arrange a drop off at our Machinery Hall. Donations accepted throughout the year.
ITEMS FOR SALE
We have a small selection of books and souvenirs for sale. Please contact the Museum office to purchase. Payment can be made by internet banking, cash or eftpos at the Museum. Postage will be advised.Waimate Advertiser 100 years of Publishing - Vol 1 to 8 $25 per vol / $180 full set
Snippets from the Waimate Advertiser spanning the years 1898 to 1952.
For other items for sale follow this link.
The Soldier and The Nurse by Joyce Cooper - $10
The stories of Irene Olorenshaw M.B.E. - Nurse, and Eric Batchelor D.C.M. and Bar - Soldier. Both Waimate Residents they served in North Africa and Italy during WW2, but their paths never crossed.
Greeting cards featuring historical photographs. Themes include: Christmas, Get well soon, Happiness, Sympathy. $3 each or 4 for $10.